By now, the Special Assignment (Gifted and Enrichment) teachers have visited or spoken to almost all schools at HWDSB who have students that are identified Gifted according to the HWDSB Criteria.
Permission and consent forms were provided to the schools to hand out to students. These forms must be returned to the school in order for the student to participate in the Gifted Program Enrichment activities.
Grade 7/8: 14 Classes (252 Students)
Grade 6: 9 Classes (147 Students)
Grade 5: 7 Classes (152 Students)
The format for the program:
Along with regular visits to the Enrichment and Innovation Centre, as well as field trips, the Special Assignment teachers will be visiting the schools where they will provide support to teachers, students and parents.
Over the next two weeks, the Enrichment Team teachers are working diligently and quickly to ensure the Gifted Program is running by the beginning of October.
There will be some changes to the program for the 2017/2018 School year:
- Jennifer Deans has joined our team as an Enrichment Teacher (Kristy Luker left for a different position)
- There are THREE teachers (in 2015/2016 there were two teachers)
- There are TWO gifted Centres for students who will be attending the Enrichment program. One at Holbrook School and one at Dr. Davey School. (In 2015/2016 there was one Centre)
- Grade 6, 7 and 8 Students will have ONE ENRICHMENT teacher assigned to them (in previous years, it was 2).
- Schedules will be out as soon as possible and will include a variety of locations (both centres, library, art gallery, etc.)
- There will be classes made up of Grade 7 and 8 students from the same school (last year Grade 7 and 8 Students attended separately
- We are going to try to arrange a school bus (last year they were provided taxi or parent driver) for schools with many students
- Enrichment Teachers will be visiting schools regularly (last year this did not occur often due to schedule)
- There are TWO self-contained Gifted classes (there were THREE last year)
Please stay tuned for further updates!
~Gerry, Zoe and Jenn
The Enrichment and Innovation Program would like to say goodbye to Kristy Luker who has been with the Program for the past two school years. Kristy will be greatly missed and we wish her all the best in her new position as a Reading Recovery Teacher with the HWDSB!
Jennifer Deans has joined our team, along withZoe Branigan-Pipe and Gerry Schaefer at the Enrichment and Innovation Centre and she brings with her a huge amount of knowledge and expertise in Special Education, Gifted and Innovation in teaching and learning.
MakerDays at the Enrichment Program
Final OPEN HOUSE AT FOR THIS SCHOOL YEAR! WEDNESDAY JUNE 21ST
ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST SIGN-UP
Students/FAMILIES, together, may participate in a variety of ST-E-A-M (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math and Arts) activities throughout Open Classroom Session at Holbrook school between 3-5. Please Register.
Available Kits at the Centre
- Arduino Kits and Project Books
- Breadboard Activities
- Raspberri Pi Project and
- Python Coding projects
- Cubelets Robotics
- Ozobot Robotics
- NXT and Vex Robotics
- LilyPad Electronic SEWING kits (COST $10)
- Green Screen
- Ink and Paint Circuits
- Knitting (COST $2)
- Hand-sewing (COST $2)
- Sewing Machine
- ART (WaterColours)
- Makey Makey Kits