Grade Seven: Local and Global Action
Big Idea: How does our understanding of the Past impact our actions toward a better future??
Starting in September /October, students who have met the HWDSB criteria for GIFTED will again, be invited to attend the Enrichment and Innovation Centre located at Holbrook School or Dr. Davey Schools. A letter will be sent to the students family as well as the school.
New this year!! →
- Students will attend in three day sessions instead of attending one day spread out throughout the school year
- Some students, as needed will also be supported in the schools
Grade Seven Program:
- There will be SIX SESSIONS (increased from 5 sessions) which will include an experiential learning trip.
- Students will participate in activities and lesson that focus around STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering and ARTS and Math).
- There will be a strong focus towards the Global Goals and Social Justice
- The overall intent is to help students better identify their strengths and weaknesses, to advocate for themselves and to work both independently and collaborative in a given situation.
- We will use Inquiry and Problem Based methods for instruction and will emphasize a hands-on approach to learning.
- The Centre will provide an environment for students to engage in the topics and activities that interest them.
- Students will learn about and participate in, the WorldViews and Philosophies of the First Nations, Indigenous, and Metis
- Students will participate in both self-directed learnings as well as a whole class focused activities that are built around real-world problems and solutions.
Sample Day Schedule for the Gifted Program:
Students go to their home school and await transportation to the Enrichment and Innovation Centre OR students are driven to the Centre by a parent (AS ARRANGED BY THE SCHOOLS)
9:30/10:00 → Students arrive to the Centre.
10:00 – 11:30 → Students participate in strength (interest) based, self-directed learning activities (hubs set up around the classroom to choose from). Teachers work with small groups.
11:30 – 12:10 → Lunch, Exercise, Play and independent/small group activities
12:10 – 1:30 → Focused Inquiry-based, problem-based lesson
1:30 – 2:00 → Consolidation and sharing
2:00 → Transportation back to homeschool via bus, taxi or parent
We are always looking for volunteers to join our Enrichment Centre Stations. If you have an expertise in a certain area, we would love to have you come share and help inspire our students. Please contact the Enrichment Centre Staff.