Grade 5: Da Vinci Kids
Big Idea: How are we Gifted?
Approximately twice per school year (three days each session), students who have met the HWDSB criteria for GIFTED will be invited to attend the Enrichment and Innovation Centre located at Holbrook School. Every student in Grade 5 who has been formally tested for Gifted and has been notified that they meet the HWDSB criteria, will also have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) initiated by their home school (teacher, Learning Resource Teacher, and Principal). In April and May of this year, parents will be invited to an INDIVIDUAL PROGRAM RESOURCE COMMITTEE (IPRC) meeting where they may be formally identified as “Gifted”. This will be reviewed every year that they are enrolled at an HWDSB school.
A letter of invitation to attend the Enrichment and Innovation Centre will be sent to the students family as well as the school at the start of October.
- Instead of Students visiting the center for one day sessions throughout the school year, they will be invited for three-day sessions which will occur twice in a school year.
- Due to the fact that there are 12 Grade, Five classes, some classes may not visit the Enrichment Program until December.
Grade Five Program:
- There will be SIX SESSIONS for Grade Five students that meet the HWDSB criteria for Gifted. These sessions will occur TWICE in the school year (three days each time).
- Through an ongoing study of Leonardo da Vinci, students will participate in engaging activities including Art, Mathematics, Science, Engineering, Physics, Drama, and Literature.
- The overall intent is to help students better identify their strengths and weaknesses, to advocate for themselves and to work both independently and collaborative in a given situation.
- We will use Inquiry and Problem Based methods for instruction and will emphasize a hands-on approach to learning.
- The Centre will provide an environment for students to engage in the topics and activities that interest them.
- The Center has a set of new computers, lego robotics and a 3D printer where students will have an opportunity to design and print a 3D object.
- We also have hubs set around the classroom that focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, and ARTS.
- We will be using a variety of computer programs, including Minecraft as part of the design process
- While at the centre, the students will participate in both self-directed learning as well as a whole class focused activities that are built around real-world problems and solutions.
Sample Day Schedule for the Gifted Program:
Students go to their home school and await transportation to the Enrichment and Innovation Centre OR students are driven to the Centre by a parent (THE METHOD OF TRANSPORTATION IS PRE-DETERMINED )
9:30/10:00 → Students arrive to the Centre and participate in self-directed activities and challenges.
10:00 – 11:30 → Students participate in passion-based, self-directed learning activities (hubs set up around the classroom to choose from). Teachers work with small groups.
11:30 – 12:10 → Lunch, Exercise, Play and independent/small group activities
12:10 – 1:30 → Focused Inquiry-based, problem based lesson
1:30 – 2:00 → Consolidation and sharing
2:00 → Transportation back to homeschool via bus, taxi or parent
We are always looking for volunteers to join our Enrichment Centre Stations. If you have an expertise in a certain area, we would love to have you come to share and help inspire our students.