Grade Eight: Design Minds
Big Idea: How does our understanding of the Past impact our actions toward a better future??
Approximately once per month, starting in October, students who have met the HWDSB criteria for GIFTED will AGAIN, be invited to attend the Enrichment and Innovation Centre located at Holbrook School or Dr. Davey School.
New this year!! →
- Schedules have changed. Instead of students attending 5/6 times spread out throughout the school year, they will attend twice, in three-day chunks.
Grade Eight Program:
- There will be TWO SESSIONS, THREE DAYS FOR EACH SESSION (increased from 5 sessions) for Grade Eight students that meet the HWDSB criteria for Gifted.
- The Grade Eight Program visits will be completed by February to accommodate school schedules and reach ahead opportunities (talk to home school about this).
- Students will participate in activities and lesson that focus on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering and ARTS and Math).
- Students will attend one Field Trip
- There will be a strong focus towards the Global Goals
- The overall intent is to help them better identify their strengths and weaknesses, to advocate for themselves and to work both independently and collaborative in a given situation.
- We will use Inquiry and Problem Based methods for instruction and will emphasize a hands-on approach to learning.
- The Centre will provide an environment for students to engage in the topics and activities that interest them.
- Students will have an opportunity to share in cooking activities
- Students will learn about and participate in, the WorldViews and Philosophies of the First Nations, Indigenous, and Metis
- We will be using a variety of computer programs, including Minecraft as part of the design process
- Students will participate in both self-directed learnings as well as a whole class focused activities that are built around real-world problems and solutions.
Sample Day Schedule for the Gifted Program:
Students go to their home school and await transportation to the Enrichment and Innovation Centre OR students are driven to the Centre by a parent (THIS SHOULD BE PRE-ARRANGED BY THE SCHOOL)
9:30/10:00 → Students arrive at the Centre.
10:00 – 11:30 → Students participate in strength (interest) based, self-directed learning activities (hubs set up around the classroom to choose from). Teachers work with small groups.
11:30 – 12:10 → Lunch, Exercise, Play and independent/small group activities
12:10 – 1:30 → Focused Inquiry-based, problem-based lesson
1:30 – 2:00 → Consolidation and sharing
2:00 → Transportation back to home school via bus, taxi or parent
We are always looking for volunteers to join our Enrichment Centre Stations. If you have an expertise in a certain area, we would love to have you come to share and help inspire our students.