Grade Eight: Design Minds
Big Idea: How does our understanding of the Past impact our actions toward a better future??
Approximately once per month, starting in October, students who have met the HWDSB criteria for GIFTED will AGAIN, be invited to attend the Enrichment and Innovation Centre located at Holbrook School. This year, we will be opening another centre at Dr. Davey School. More news to come about that! A letter will be sent to the students family as well as the school.
As well, students are welcome to use our Enrichment Centre Drop-In, held on SOME Wednesdays from 3:00-5:00 for informal programming, sharing and playing! There are 5 Grade Eight Classes with approximately 22 students in each class. We will have one- two teachers available for supporting students programming needs. Be sure to check the calendar (OFTEN). This is found at: https://gifted.commons.hwdsb.on.ca for information about when each group is scheduled.
New this year!! →
- Gifted Centre location at Holbrook Elementary School and Dr. Davey (Starting January). This year, we have our own location. In previous years, we held our program at 4 different locations, borrowing resources from the schools.
- We are having a weekly “Drop-In” Centre most Wednesdays (3:00-5:00) for ALL students and families. They may access our computers and other resources (including the 3D printer)
- In order to extend the learning that happens between the classroom, home and the Enrichment Centre, we will be setting up an online platform called Desire to Learn (D2L). This is referred to as “Blended Learning”. Using their HWDSB login and password, students will be able to interact with their “Gifted Class” online. The Enrichment and Innovation Centre Teachers will post project ideas, questions, information and even activities that students could do prior to coming to each centre. In some elementary and many secondary schools, the D2L platform is used for online coursework, for feedback and for teacher instruction. Instead, we are using it as a tool for communication, enrichment, and questions.
- “REMIND” – We will be using a “Texting” program. Each group/class will be getting a special code to receive text messages and/or emails about the Gifted Program. Look out for more information about this.
- We will continue to hold Parent Information Sessions. Stayed tuned for more information about this.
Grade Eight Program:
- There will be SIX SESSIONS (increased from 5 sessions) for Grade Eight students that meet the HWDSB criteria for Gifted
- Students will participate in activities and lesson that focus around STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering and ARTS and Math).
- Students will attend one Field Trip
- There will be a strong focus towards the Global Goals
- The overall intent, is to help them better identify their strengths and weaknesses, to advocate for themselves and to work both independently and collaborative in a given situation.
- We will use Inquiry and Problem Based methods for instruction and will emphasize a hands-on approach to learning.
- The Centre will provide an environment for students to engage in the topics and activities that interest them.
- Students will have an opportunity to share in cooking activities
- Students will learn about and participate in, the WorldViews and Philosophies of the First Nations, Indigenous and Metis
- We will be using a variety of computer programs, including Minecraft as part of the design process
- Students will participate in both self-directed learning as well as a whole class focused activities that are built around real-world problems and solutions.
Sample Day Schedule for the Gifted Program:
Students go to their home school and await transportation to the Enrichment and Innovation Centre OR students are driven to the Centre by a parent (please notify the Centre of this 905 385 5369, email@example.com
9:30/10:00 → Students arrive to the Centre.
10:00 – 11:30 → Students participate in strength (interest) based, self-directed learning activities (hubs set up around the classroom to choose from). Teachers work with small groups.
11:30 – 12:10 → Lunch, Exercise, Play and independent/small group activities
12:10 – 1:30 → Focused Inquiry based, problem based lesson
1:30 – 2:00 → Consolidation and sharing (Students will share a tea this time)
2:00 → Transportation back to home school via bus, taxi or parent
We are always looking for volunteers to join our Enrichment Centre Stations. If you have an expertise in a certain area, we would love to have you come share and help inspire our students. Please contact either Kristy, Zoe or Gerry (905 389-5369) if you think you could offer some real-world expertise to our program!